Service for World Class Schools
PEIMS, Unique ID, TEAL, TEDS, TIMS, Technical, ECDS
For TSDS Business Information Contact Emily Jeffrey at 325-675-7003.
What is the Texas Student Data System?
The Texas Student Data System (TSDS), a major initiative by the Texas Education Agency, is a statewide system that modernizes and improves the quality of data collection, management, and reporting in Texas education.
Through the StudentGPS®Dashboards and other improvements, TSDS will support higher student performance across the state.
TSDS also replaces and expands on the existing Public Education Information Management System (PEIMS):
TSDS modernizes the PEIMS data collection process to reduce technology risk and system downtime allowing for more system availability and ease of use.
It puts real-time student performance data in the hands of educators to improve student achievement.
TSDS will become the one common data collection platform for TEA to reduce the data collection burden on districts and charter schools.
How Will TSDS Work?
Local education agencies (LEAs—Texas school districts and charter schools) load data to TSDS from their local systems.
The data is stored in a central repository (the Operational Data Store), where it can be used for the studentGPS® Dashboards, PEIMS, Early Childhood Data System (ECDS), and any future collections.
Meanwhile, the Unique ID module manages student and staff IDs, ensuring that each person has only one identity in the system and that data matches up correctly throughout TSDS.
Finally, data moves to TEA's reporting systems: dashboard data is visible only to authorized educators in the studentGPS® Dashboards, while PEIMS data is aggregated for anonymity and made available to the public via TPEIR (just as in the legacy system).
For more complete info, click here to visit the official TSDS Website to learn more!
The Texas Education Data Standards is a collection of data standards based on the national Ed-Fi XML core for loading data to TSDS.
As the extracted data is loaded to the ODS, it will be validated against TEDS.
TEDS includes all data elements, code tables, business rules, and data validations needed to load local agency (LEA-Texas school district or charter school) education data to TSDS for PEIMS and the studentGPS Dashboards.
TEDS is applied at the point that local systems create an extract for TSDS-that extract must be in TEDS-compliant XML format. As the extract is loaded to the ODS, it will be validated against TEDS.
Click here to access the latest release of TEDS.
Roles are defined below. Individuals may have more than one role.
· TSDS student GPS DB Configurator: Can configure settings within dashboards, determining who has access to what information, how information is displayed, etc… This role is typically given to administrators who determine access levels for their specific campus or district.
· TSDS student GPS Dashboards: Can view information on specified students. This is the typical access given to teachers using Dashboards.
· ODS Campus Data Loader: Can load data for their specific campus to the Operational Data Store to be used for Dashboards, PEIMS, ECDS or other reporting.
· ODS Data Loader: Can load data for their district to the Operational Data Store to be used for Dashboards, PEIMS, ECDS or other reporting.
· PEIMS Data Scheduler/Promoter (LEA/ESC): As data is collected for PEIMS submissions, at least one individual must be able to “promote the files up to the PEIMS Data Mart once ready. This individual will schedule that promotion of data or manually push the data to the data mart as needed. This is usually given to a district’s PEIMS Coordinator.
· PEIMS Campus Submitter: Can submit PEIMS interchange files for their campus.
· PEIMS Data Submitter: Can submit PEIMS interchange files for the district.
· PEIMS Data Accepter (ESC): Used by ESC PEIMS staff to accept PEIMS files once completed, reviewed and approved by a district’s superintendent or their designee.
· PEIMS Data Approver: Superintendent or Superintendent’s designee that reviews and approves PEIMS data indicating TEA may accept as the official PEIMS submission.
· PEIMS Data Completer: Individual that certifies all interchanges have been submitted and the submission is ready to be finalized and approved. This is typically the PEIMS Coordinator for the district.
· Uniq ID – LEA: Can enter information into the Person Identification Database manually or send a batch file to obtain a Unique ID for students and/or employees in the district
· Uniq – ID Campus: Can enter information into the Person Identification Database manually or send a batch file to obtain a Unique ID for students on a specific campus
· Uniq – ID Search: Can search for students or employees to see a unique ID, but are not able to make changes to the Person Identification Database or download a file to automatically enter the Unique ID into their source system
· TIMS ESC Level 2 Support: ESC staff that access the TSDS Incident Management System to assist districts submitting a ticket for unresolved issues.
· TIMS LEA Level 1 Support: District level staff that access the TSDS Incident Management System to assist users at their district submitting a ticket for unresolved issues. Smaller school districts usually do not have anyone with this role, but will rely on ESC staff or TEA to assist in resolving issues.
TIMS - TSDS Incident Managment System
In order to manage the support for a system as large and diverse as TSDS, it is necessary to channel all support through an Incident Managment System, which will route all incidents to the appropriate support staff, track their outcomes, and retain a history of the problems users are having.
All users access TSDS support via the TSDS Incident Management System, or TIMS in your TEAL account. Any user can create a TIMS incident from anywhere within TSDS, track their open incidents, and search the TSDS knowledge base for existing solutions to known problems. To access TIMS, click the Help/Support link in the dark blue header at the top of all TSDS subsystems.
ECDS - Early Childhood Data System
ECDS is the platform used to collect state-mandated early childhood data which is designed to inform school districts, communities, and early childhood programs about the effectiveness of prekindergarten, Head Start and community-based licensed childcare programs in preparing children for kindergarten. The ECDS will provide a fully integrated data solution as part of TSDS and include most kindergarten reading diagnostic instruments on the TEA Commissioner's approved list.
For the 2017-2018 school year districts will be submitting Commissioner's approved assessments for Kindergarten and Pre-Kindergarten students. Remember this includes your 4 year old Head Start students.
The spreadsheet will be available for use this year. TEA has been working with vendors on the Commissioner's approved list to encourage them to create the XML needed for upload into TSDS ECDS.
As of September 8, 2017, TEA has set the submission dates as:
Kindergarten submission as January 19, 2018
Pre-Kindergarten submission as July 18, 2018
TSDS Data Standards Link for Template
Link to PK and Kinder Assessments and Guidelines
TSDS PEIMS is the software application for the state's Public Education Information Management System (PEIMS). The system provides reports and access for the prior four years' collections.
In the Education Data Warehouse, the PEIMS Data Mart accepts PEIMS data and allows the user to validate, submit, and generate reports on their PEIMS collections. TEA passes accepted data on to TPEIR, where it is aggregated for anonymity and becomes part of TPEIR's publicly released education data.
The new standards, called Texas Education Data Standards (TEDS), are available from the TEDS page of the TSDS website. There are several years of TEDS listed.
Towards to bottom of the TEDS TSDS webpage are:
eDM Error Dictionary
Delete Utility Reload Guide
Field Validation Rule Interchange Guide
What are the studentGPS Dashboards?
The dashboards are a collection of reports and metrics that provide educators with access to historical, timely, and predictive information on all students to help improve education outcomes.
The studentGPS Dashboards integrate PEIMS and other education data that LEAs load to TSDS. The data flows from the Operation Data Store (ODS) to the Dashboard Data Mart (DDM), where it is transformed and calculated into actionable metrics. That data is then displayed in the dashboards for teachers and other authorized education staff.
Click here to visit TEA's Dashboard website for more information, including Dashboard Demonstration videos.
Pet will be migrated into UID in early March, 2018. TEA will be providing training to ESC staff in the December--February timeframe.
Stay tuned for more information and dates once things get finalized.
Copyright © 2016 - Region 14 Education Service Center